In this guide we will list down the most commonly known issue with extruder and their solutions.
Extruder Skipping Steps
Extruder starts skipping steps or tick tick sound comes from extruder, then try one of this to solve the issue.
Check #1: If this issue occurs only in the first layer few layers?
Solution: Hotend Nozzle very close to the print bed, offset 0.1 mm or more
Check #2: Check the hotend temperature
Solution: Hotend temperature too low, try increasing hotend temperature.
Check #3: Tune the Extruder motor
Solution: Too high or too low current to extruder motor, tune the current extruder motor
Check #4: Clogged nozzle effect
Solution: Clean the nozzle and try again
Check #5: New Filament spool
Solution: Not every filament are accurate in size, new filament spool may be slightly oversized filament. Recalibrate the extruder
Check #6: Extruding too fast
Solution: Check the extruding feed rate, try lowering the speed.
Extruder makes a clicking or tack-tack sound
The extruder makes a clicking or tack-tack sound (trying to push filament) but filament not coming trough the extruder
- Filament temp set too low
- Screw too tight/loose that puts pressure on Hobbed pulley
- Filament diameter too large in spots causing intermittent issues
- Filament guide is needed to assist feed(before and after Hobbed pulley)
- low current to extruder motor(adjust the pot on the board)
- Motor is starting to fail.(clicking even though the pot is adjusted)
- Nozzle tip is too close to the bed(poor bed levelling causes initial clicking)
- Poor grade of filament material or moisture absorption.
- g-code possibly set up incorrectly